Complaints Procedures

If you have a complaint about the way the Parish Council has made any decision we hope you will come to the next meeting to talk to us about it. If you do not get a satisfactory answer, there is a set procedure to follow ( Please see link below).

However, if you have a complaint about something else in the parish and want to know if we can help you, then you can either write in to the clerk, who will raise the matter with the councillors at the next meeting, or you can come in person to the next meeting. There is always a half hour slot at the start called "public session" where you can say what you want to and if we are able to give you the answer there and then we will. We cannot get involved in neighbourhood disputes as there are always two sides to every story, but if you have a genuine grievance about something illegal or anti social then please contact us.


Complaints procedures